Mostly Sunny, 60°F
Horse Market Days
The Plank Road
Paw Paw Post Office
Antiques Show Plow
Naper Haight House
Rita (Fredenhagen) and John Harvard Playscape
Halfway House and Farm Cellar
Century Memorial Chapel
Martin Mitchell Mansion
Plan Your Visit
Tour the Buildings
Stonecarver’s Shop - 1880s
Quarrying was a major industry in nineteenth-century Naperville –a town built on a bed of limestone.
Three limestone quarries produced thousands of tons of stone, supplying durable material for building construction and jobs for skilled craftsmen like Henry Miller. Miller opened his stonecutting business in downtown Naperville in 1884. A small shop like Miller’s overlapped several specialties, doing whatever work the market demanded according to the seasons. When the quarries closed in cold weather, he craved fireplace hearths and mantels for local homes. Tombstones and monuments in Naperville cemeteries show Miller’s precise and intricate artistry.
This shop built in the late nineteenth century was Henry Miller’s stonecarving business. A tailor later purchased Miller’s building, which eventually became local favorite Andy’s popc
Originally located on Main Street, it was moved to Naper Settlement in 1969.
523 S. Webster St., Naperville, IL 60540 • 630.420.6010 • Fax: 630.305.4044
Powered by CivicPlus
Administered by the Naperville Heritage Society
Accredited by the American Alliance of Museums